artist date inspiration

Sunday, November 29, 2009

As you know, I have an Artist Date Challenge (see podcast shownotes for a description) going on with hopes of inspiring *each reader* to engage in artistic play. I received this submission yesterday and am delighted to share Kathryn's (True North Arts: truenortharts.com and Collage Diva Blog: collagediva.com) creativity:
"I've been pushing myself lately. I work full-time, I'm a single mom, and I regularly publish on two blogs. November was extra intense for I was participating in Art Every Day Month. In the process of reaching my daily creativity goal I had lost my morning routine of yoga, meditation, journaling, and walks. By the end of week three my neck and shoulders were screaming. I told myself that I would treat myself in December to an artist date. Oh but my neck and shoulders made it quite clear that they couldn't wait. I pulled out a gift certificate for a massage and called to make a date. The photos offer you a look at what happened after my massage.

1. I enjoyed a lunch of carrot-ginger soup, apple slices, and Terra vegetable chips.
2. I lit my favorite candle, a jasmine scented candle in the shape of a lotus flower.
3. I moved to my comfy overstuffed chair and read a little book called, "The Prayer Box Book: Create, Write, and Live Your Prayers" by Janell Moon.  I sat for a time following Janell's suggestion for a meditation. She writes, "...turn your attention to your heart and envision a lotus flower opening, twelve petals, one at a time...just watch the unfolding of the flower of your heart. After reading about prayer boxes and prayer lines I journaled to explore my prayer and intention for the day. After writing a full page of thoughts, I settled on the following line: "I listen to what my body needs."
4. I returned to my kitchen table and made some of my favorite tea.
5. I was feeling restless and decided to warm up my creative engines by making a collage. As I flipped through magazines, I followed my instincts. When I flipped to a page with a photo of Pema Chondron I knew I found my image. I usually layer several pictures but this photo was so striking. The following was excerpted from her 11th book, Taking the Leap. "Pausing is very helpful...it creates a momentary contrast between being completely self-absorbed, and being awake and present. You just stop for a few seconds, breathe deeply, and move on....pausing nurtures you." This is just what I needed right now, a good pause.
6-7. After a walk in the brisk air I returned and altered a little notebook and wooden box to keep my prayer lines.
8. Inside the box I put a couple of tokens and on a piece of paper the words, "I pause and listen."

What a wonderful day. My body and soul feel so nourished and loved. I hope you are inspired to take a couple of hours, an afternoon, or even a full day for yourself."
posted by kimberly wilson
Free Website Counter